Slider

McKinlee Gray | FIVE

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Today our girl is FIVE. I feel like I say the same thing every year. We were young and she was perfect. This year is different. This year she's five. We have to let her go to school. School where grades count, she takes a backpack, they let her go to the bathroom by herself, and walk to the office alone. The switch from Pre-K to Kindergarten feels like we're sending her to college.

She kept saying "when I turn 5, I get to do whatever I want!" I mean, no. But also, yes. August 14th is the day she starts working toward higher education - where she will make the choice every day to show up and work hard. She'll make choices to be a good friend. She'll make a choice to use everything we've taught her in the last five years to be a good, decent person. She's perfect to us, 100%, but I want everyone else to see all those great qualities that we see in her each day.

My wish is that she's vulnerable enough to let her guard down and be a great friend to the most popular kid in class, but also a friend and confidant to the shy ones. I hope she treats every kid the same. I hope she treats every single person with respect. I hope she steps out of her comfort zone. I hope she loves to learn. 

Most of all, I hope kids are nice to her. She has such a big heart for everyone, but with that comes some really sensitive feelings that get hurt easily. I hate the thought of her feeling left out, or disliked. Society is so harsh these days and I just hope she can pour into others and they can do the same for her.


It's year five, and I have a feeling it's going to be the best one yet.

Happy Birthday, sweet girl.




No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan